Executive Job Listing
Senior Systems Engineer
ICT and Telecommunications
Date posted: Thu, 12 Jan 2017
Expires: Mon, 13 Mar 2017
Compensation: R45000 - R49000
Reference Number: MB
An IMImobile company is looking for a Senior Systems Engineer to be based at their Clients’ offices to join their team. The Client is a mobile messaging and MMS (mobile marketing) company. The Systems Engineer is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuous innovation within the infrastructure. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values, company business strategy, enabling staff, volunteers, and Partners. This individual will assist project teams with technical issues. These activities include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development; technical analysis and design; and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions.
Systems Administration, Engineering and Provisioning
- Engineering of SA-related solutions for various business, project and operational needs.
- Install new / rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and business/project/operational requirements.
- Install and configure systems such as infrastructure support applications, Asset Management applications, Backup Systems, Business Applications according to business requirements.
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
- Contribute to and maintain system standards.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks.
- Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
- General user network operating system administration and management.
Network Administration, Engineering and Provisioning
- Collaborate with department leaders to assess near-and long-term Network capacity needs
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to Network configuration, Network mapping, processes, and service records
- Implement and maintain policies, procedures, and associated training plans for Network administration, usage, and disaster recovery
- Design and deploy company LANs, WANs, and wireless Networks, including cabling, routers, switches, UPSs, and other hardware data centre equipment
- Conduct research on Network products, services, protocols, and standards to remain abreast of developments in the Networking industry
- Configure Networks to ensure their smooth and reliable operation for fulfilling business objectives and processes
- Monitor Network performance and troubleshoot problem areas as needed.
- Oversee installation, configuration, maintenance, and troubleshooting of end user workstation hardware, software, and peripheral devices
- Ensure Network connectivity of all servers, workstations and other Network appliances
- Practice Network asset management, including maintenance of Network component inventory and related documentation and technical specifications information
- Monitor and test Network performance and provide Network performance statistics and reports
- Participate in managing all Network security solutions
- Perform network related security audits
- Manage and maintain network security
- Manage and/or provide guidance to junior members of the team
- Network and connectivity support to the Operational Support Team and Customer operations environments
Operations and Support
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Perform regular system related security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
- Perform regular file archival and purge as necessary.
- Create, change, and delete user accounts per request.
- Provide support per request from various parties.
- Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted parties.
- Restore data from backup media on request.
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
- Upgrade and configure system software that supports IS infrastructure applications or Asset Management applications per project or operational needs.
- Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures.
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required.
- Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
- Maintain data center environmental and monitoring equipment.
- Capacity planning for all systems on a quarterly basis that includes hardware, software and software licensing.
- Duties performed irregular / Ad Hoc intervals
- Duties may be amended as specific needs arise.
- General Responsibilities:
- Understand and follow the project-specific, service-specific or maintenance process.
- Collaborate professionally with other team members.
- Request changes to, and report defects in, work products.
- Provide good faith effort estimates for performing required tasks.
- Provide input for regular team status updates.
- Be honest, have integrity, and maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Work to resolve conflicts or differences of opinion by finding areas of agreement that benefit the stakeholder organisations and individuals.
- Provide constructive, timely and specific feedback to others.
- Show a genuine intent in fostering the learning and development of others.
- Participate effectively in group discussions and activities, while also encouraging others to do the same.
- Facilitates meetings effectively, deciding when to advocate, and when to compromise to arrive at mutually acceptable decisions and solutions.