The entire globe was left in shock following the sudden passing of former Bafana Bafana defender Anele Ngcongca in a car accident on Monday morning.
Ngcongca was in KwaZulu-Natal after reportedly joining AmaZulu on loan from Mamelodi Sundowns and in the early hours of the morning, the former Genk defender tragically lost his life in a motor vehicle accident.
South Africa has lost a growing number of footballers to motor vehicle accidents over the recent years while many players have also suffered career ending injuries like former Kaizer Chiefs starlet Wiseman Meyiwa.
Anele Ngcongca dies in car accident
Horrific images from the accident scene left the public in shock following the passing of Anele Ngcongca. Sadly, it definitely wasn’t a new feeling. South Africa has mourned a number of top footballers over the years.
Among the victims to have died as a result of accidents on the roads have been Orlando Pirates legend Lesley Manyathela as well as Gift Leremi.
- Lesley Manyathela – 09 August 2003
- Gift Leremi – 03 September 2007
- Richard Henyekane – 07 April 2015
- Cecil Lolo – 25 October 2015
- Mondli Cele – 17 January 2016
- Mlondi Dlamini – 08 October 2017
- Mogau Tshehla – 15 February 2018
- Sinethemba Jantjie – 01 April 2019
- Thembinkosi Mbamba – 25 May 2019
- Anele Ngcongca – 23 November 2020
A number of other high profile PSL footballers have also walked away without any serious damage from devastating accidents.
Kaizer Chiefs’ Lebogang Manyama was one of them while most recently, Mamelodi Sundowns attacker Gift Motupa managed to survive a serious crash.